Corn production started predominantly in Black Sea region and Marmara region in 1950’s in Turkey. After 1980’s it tended towards to Mediterranean region and Aegean region. Recently increase of corn production significantly in Southeastern Anatolia region.
Corn is highest summer grown plant among cereals except wheat and barley. Corn has grown about 60 provinces in Turkey that she has 81 provinces, especially Adana, Mardin, Urfa, Sakarya, Osmaniye, Manisa, Mersin, Maraş, Konya, Bursa, Aydın, İzmir, Diyarbakır and Hatay provinces.
While 68% percent of corn areas is grain maize, 32% of it is silage maize. In recent years substantial increase have seen depend on go up of irrigable land in the corn production. In the last decade whereas increase of grown area is 14.6%, increase of product is 52.3%.
The most reasons of increase of corn product are as follows.
- The use of hybrid seeds,
- he selection of appropriate seed varieties of the region,
- The development of cultivation techniques,
- Increase of demand in feed industry particularly broiler chicken feed,
- Increase of second product,
- Increase of corn product as an alternative to cotton,
- Increase of cultivation areas in South Eastern region and Aegean region,
- Increase of prize of corn like world,
- Promotion of production with supports such as premium, fertilizer and diesel fuel,
Tablo 1. In Turkey corn cultivation areas, productions and yields by years
|Years||Cultivation Area (decare)||Production (tons)||Yield (tons/decare)|
Source: Chamber of Agricultural Engineers