This year, wheat production fell not only in Turkey, but also in the world in the World. When the drought occurred in four continents, wheat production decreased by 42 million tons globally from 758 million tons to 716 million tons. For the first time, wheat production remained under the consumption. Stocks activated. With the impact of the decline in production, the world wheat prices are rising rapidly. Continue reading
Last season, reaching a record level of 2 million tonnes of olive production fell to 1.5 million tonnes in the 2018-2019 season with 36 percent decline.
Olive and olive oil rearm prediction was announced in coordination of national Olive and olive Oil Council. According to the statement, the 2017-2018 season, 2 million 31 thousand tonnes of the grain olive production in the 2018-2019 season fell to 1 million 500 thousand tonnes. Continue reading
Mr. Fakıbaba Turkish Minister of Food and Livestock has made some explanations. He said that; As the Turkish government, we have given in total 1,7 billion Turkish liras (TL) the following supports from 2005 which is the first year of seed supports.
1 billion Continue reading
As of March 5th, Russia allowed the import of pomegranate products, eggplant, pepper, lettuce, pumpkin and zucchini from all the companies under the guarantee of the Turkish Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Livestock.
Russia had gone to some economic sanctions as of 1 January 2016, following the dropping of the Russian war plane, which violated the Turkish airspace. Russia was also forbidden to import products such as tomatoes, oranges, apples, peppers, eggplant, lettuce, pomegranate, zucchini, chicken and turkey meat from Turkey. With the normalization Continue reading
The developments that marked 2017;
- According to the Turkey Statistical Institute data, in the first 9-month period of 2017, the Turkish economy grew by 7.4 percent, while the agriculture increased by 3.3 percent in the same period.
- The agricultural support budget was determined as 12.8 billion TL for the year 2017. But supports were announced for the first time so late (18th August).
- The National Agricultural Policy was put into practice as of January 1, 2017. With the basin based support model in herbal production, 21 products were supported in 941 basins. Support payments were paid in two installments. In animal husbandry, “breeding region”, “fat region” and “milk and industrial region” were created and supports were differentiated.
- In 2017 imports lived its ‘golden year’. Grain, pulses, feedstuffs, live animals and red meat customs duties were reduced or eliminated in the framework of food price reduction and inflation-fighting program.
- General Directory of Meat and Milk Board has been given zero import duties live animal and red meat, and Turkish Grain Board has given grain products also.
- When the harvest in cereals began the Cabinet Decision published in the Official Gazette dated June 27, 2017 reduced the customs duty from 130 per cent to 45 per cent for wheat imports, 35 per cent for barley and 25 per cent for corn. On the same day, customs duties on live cattle imports were reduced to 26 percent from 135 percent. In the carcass meat reduced the customs tax rate from 100 percent to 225 percent to 40 percent. Previous imports of fatling animals reduced the customs tax from 60 to 10 percent.
- The Council of Ministers’ decisions published in the Official Gazette dated November 22, 2017, some products such as oil seeds, herbs used in medicine, straw and coarse feed, animal feed products the customs tax rates were re-determined. While the customs tax was zero for coarse feed and bran types, some products were reduced to 20 percent in some were reduced to 10 per cent.
- The customs tax was also zero in the import of chickpeas, dried beans, kidney bean and cowpea species with the decision of the Council of Ministers published in the Official Gazette on December 2, 2017. The application will continue until June 1, 2018.
- The scope of the amendment in the Council of Ministers, Food, Agriculture and Livestock Minister Faruk Çelik handed over his duty to Ahmet Eşref Fakıbaba in July. As with each minister change, high-ranking bureaucrats and agricultural policy changed. Ahmet Eşref Fakıbaba focused on red meat. He announced that the meat imports will continue for another 3 years. Import of live animals and red meat was further increased but he stated that meat imports will decrease over time. Sales of “cheap meat” started in market chains.
- The Ziraat Bank which meets 60% of the loans granted in the agricultural sector by itself, the agricultural support of the farmers, and many other agricultural services, has been transferred to the Asset Fund.
- As in the last year, the echoes of the tomato crisis continued with Russia in 2017. Against to the Russia’s embargo, Turkey stopped 6 agricultural products was imported from Russia. Turkey used the wheat trump against tomatoes, but after 45 days, he gave up this block. Russia’s prohibition on tomato imports continued until the end of the year. The crisis was overcome as Russia allowed 50 firms to import 50 thousand tons of tomatoes in October.
- The Turkish Grain Board has intervened in the hazelnut market after 8 years. Because the hazelnut price was reduced, the board was commissioned this season. In addition, the board was commissioned for the first time with the purchase of raisins in the Aegean region. General Directory of Meat and Milk Board continued to intervene in the red meat and milk market.
- Although the production and use of genetically modified organisms (GMOs) in food is prohibited in Turkey, the bread produced in Adana was detected in GMO.
- Turkey has imported straw again in 2017 after 5 years break.
- Malatya apricots have been registered geographically from the European Union.
- Resolution which will open olive field to mining investment and zoning for the 7th time in the Grand National Assembly of Turkey was rejected.
- The world’s largest olive oil museum, “Köstem Olive Oil Museum” opened in İzmir Urla.
- The whirlwind that lives in Antalya caused tens of millions of liras.
- Mahindra, one of the biggest tractors in the world, bought Erkunt Tractor, which is 100% domestic.
- The Sugar Foundation and the Tobacco and Alcohol Market Regulatory Authority were closed down and transferred to the Ministry of Agriculture.
An international food and beverage company (PepsiCO) has done an research about what do young generation think about farming profession. Do they want to work this area? For this purpose, a total of 800 hundred students, 400 of whom are students trained in agricultural departments and others are children of farmers, were interviewed. According to the research, a vast majority of young, like 65.5 percent, are Continue reading
Prof. Dr. Kantar, a faculty member of the Faculty of Agriculture at Akdeniz University, said “We have a variety of fresh and dried beans that can withstand cold temperatures of up to minus 4 degrees. We reached this conclusion with a 3-year study. The bean plant is tolerant to 10 degrees in normal conditions. The production of the plant decreases at temperatures below 10 degrees. Using 829 local bean genotypes used in various regions of Turkey, 3-year laboratory tests, molecular studies and field trials, the result of cold-resistant beans were produced. In laboratory tests, the seeds, which are resistant to minus 3 degrees Celsius, were taken Continue reading